After a bombshell accusation that Trump flushed White House documents down his toilet at the White House by Maggie Haberman (NYT) in her new book “Confidence Man.” Trump released a scathing rebuke on those allegations.
• Maggie Haberman has been releasing excerpts of her upcoming book on Trump slated to be released in October.
• In the book, she accuses Trump of flushing documents down the toilet.
• President Trump said in a statement that recently, the archives department of the white house took back some documents that he has no obligation to return.
According to the National archives administration, Trump took documents from the white house he wasn’t supposed to take at the end of his term, including a letter from Kim Jong Un and Obama.
• On the new allegations, Trump denies ever flushing documents down the toilet.
• According to Maggie Haberman’s book, While President Trump was in office, staff in the White House residence periodically discovered wads of printed paper clogging a toilet.
• Trump said regarding the report: “Another fake story, that I flushed papers and documents down a White House toilet, is categorically untrue and simply made up by a reporter in order to get publicity for a mostly fictitious book.”
• On the 15 boxes recovered by the national archives department. Trump said, “In actuality, I have been told I was under no obligation to give this material based on various legal rulings that have been made over the years,” Trump said but did not specify which rulings allow him to do so. He also went on to say, “the documents taken will someday be displayed in the Donald J. Trump Presidential Library.”
• Under the Presidential Records Act, a president must immediately turn in presidential records to the national archivist as soon as they leave office.
• The House Oversight Committee said Thursday “Removing or concealing government records is a criminal offense punishable by up to three years in prison,”
• The National Archives and Record Administration or NARA has asked the Justice Department to probe former Trump’s handlings of White House records.
• Trump full Press release on the matter: