The NRA has been the latest large company targeted by Russian-linked ransomware hackers, as experts see a huge spike in attacks throughout 2021.
• Hackers group GRIEF (known as EVIL GROUP) has claimed responsibility for the attack that led the group to leak thousands of files from their official website (HERE) on the dark web.
• This hacker group had also been linked to the ransomware attack on Sinclaire broadcast Group a week ago.
• The US Government sanctioned the Hacker group back in 2019, which led the group to rebrand and continue over 41 attacks worldwide.
• The NRA said the following on Twitter:
“NRA does not discuss matters relating to its physical or electronic security. However, the NRA takes extraordinary measures to protect information regarding its members, donors, and operations – and is vigilant in doing so.”–Andrew Arulanandam, managing dir., NRA Public Affairs
— NRA (@NRA) October 27, 2021
• Many experts believe that the NRA was an easy target because, as they put it, they are weakened by their recent relocation (escape from New York) and multiple lawsuits all over the country.
• The Hacker group responsible has been linked back to Russia and possibly even to Russian Intelligence Agencies.
THIS IS A DEVELOPING STORY CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES