HOLTVILLE, Calif. — An SUV packed with 25 people pulled in front of an oncoming tractor-trailer on a two-lane highway cutting through farmland near the Mexican border early Tuesday, killing 13 and leaving bodies strewn across the roadway.
WHAT WE NOW KNOW:
The 13 migrants killed in a horrific crash in Southern California were among more than 40 people who entered the US in two SUVs through a hole cut in a border fence with Mexico, an official said Wednesday.
• surveillance footage taken before the early Tuesday wreck captured a Ford Expedition and Chevrolet Suburban drive through the breached fence.
• It’s believed that those involved were part of a migrant smuggling operation.
— AlexVnews (@alexvnews) March 3, 2021
The chief of Border Patrol’s El Centro sector, Gregory Bovino, told the AP that the agency has surveillance video of a Ford Expedition and Chevrolet Suburban driving through the opening early Tuesday.
At around 6:15 a.m. the Expedition collided with a tractor-trailer on State Route 115, roughly 12 miles from the border.
Omar Watson, the chief of the CHP’s border division, said that investigators did not know how fast either vehicle was traveling or what led to the collision.
According to the AP report, the area of the fence where the opening was carved out had been constructed before former President Donald Trump began installing higher barriers that penetrate deeper into the soil, making them more difficult to manipulate.
THIS IS A DEVELOPING STORY CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES.