WHAT WE KNOW:
A left-leaning federal judge on Friday threw out a libel lawsuit filed by Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) against CNN over coverage saying he was involved in an effort to dig up dirt on now-President Biden regarding dealings with Ukraine.
• The lawsuit was seeking over $435 million
• Nunes had alleged the cable news company intentionally published a false news article on Nov. 22, 2019 and engaged in a conspiracy to defame him and damage his personal and professional reputation.
• In court papers, CNN lawyers said “Instead of denying the report before it was published, Rep. Nunes waited until it appeared and then filed this suit seeking more than $435 million in damages — labeling CNN ‘the mother of fake news,’” CNN lawyers wrote. “In his rush to sue, however, Rep. Nunes overlooked the need first to request a retraction.”
• Days After Devin Nunes’ Aide Failed in Court Against CNN, Nunes Himself Came Up Empty Against the Network
THE JUDGE THAT DISMISSED THE LIBEL SUIT:
• Nunes has not reached back at our attempts to get a comment
• CNN has also not replied to our request for comments
CHECK BACK SOON FOR MORE UPDATES