Arizona Rep. Andy Biggs had drawn up a plan to pay for the wall in part by fining Mexico and other countries $2,000 for every illegal immigrant caught crossing into the United States.
Today I introduced the "Fund and Complete the Border Wall Act" to fully fund, complete, and pay for the border wall, while giving Border Patrol agents the resources they need to do their jobs.
STATEMENT: https://t.co/i6rrscpyiI #BuildTheWall #SecureTheBorder pic.twitter.com/lVXAX0Dv1B
— Rep Andy Biggs (@RepAndyBiggsAZ) August 7, 2018
Mr.Biggs, who has made his mark in Washington in just his first term, is pushing a plan that includes the tax on illegals and other ways to pay for the border wall demanded by President Trump.
With up some 400,000 illegal immigrants being apprehended at the border yearly, his tax could raise $800 million a year.
The Fund and Complete the Border Wall Act accomplishes seven things that are vital for our border security:
- Creates a fund to build the wall;
- Calls for construction of the wall by December 2019;
- Penalizes foreign aid to Mexico and other countries by $2,000 for every illegal alien that is apprehended. The held back funds are redirected to the border wall fund;
- Charges a fee for all money transfers when receivers are outside the United States. Collected fees go to the border wall fund;
- Increases I-94 fees from $6 to $25. The higher fees fund Border Patrol salaries and the border wall fund;
- Provides regulatory relief from burdensome actions that could be used to prevent wall construction;
- Restores overtime pay for Border Patrol at same rate as all other DHS law enforcement agencies (restoring Fair Labor Standards Act).