DHS has requested help from the Pentagon guarding the southern border as border crossings have reached a critical point
• During the Senate Armed Service Committee, Gen. Glen Vanherck, head of North American Command, was asked if the Biden administration had requested DHS for additional troops at the southern border.
• The Northern command general told ranking member Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma “Sen. Inhofe, there is a request from the Department of Homeland Security,” Vanherck went on to say“It is in the planning stages right now of the department to provide additional capability or capacity based on the potential for additional immigration, or folks coming to the southwest border.”
• These new developments come just months after two DHS officials told Reporters that the border could see a massive influx this spring, potentially reaching 9,000 arrests per day.
• The new shocking numbers is higher than last summer at around 6500 per day, To help CBP is sending additional agents to the Mexican border to help address the spike in apprehensions according to the agency.
• Officials are bracing for a possible influx of up to 170,000 people in April alone.
• CBP said in a statement “Due to fluctuations along the Southwest Border, U.S. Customs and Border Protection is deploying additional Border Patrol agents to the Rio Grande Valley Sector area of operation,”
• DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas requested assistance from volunteers from agencies within the department to combat the expected surge.
• The surge is also happening at the same time that the democrats want to end title 42 deportations due to the Coronavirus pandemic.